August has always been my favorite month. In addition to it being my birthday month, it’s also when dahlias are at the height of their season and the farmers market is packed full of beautiful produce at its peak.
While we don’t typically see any new fruits or vegetables in the markets in August, I find it is when we start seeing all sorts of interesting heirloom or lesser-known varietals. Wild strawberries have started showing up at my market, along with so many colorful heirloom tomatoes.
If you’ve been thinking about trying your hand at pickling, making jam, or other types of preserves, this is the month to do it!
Low FODMAP Vegetables and Legumes to Eat in August
- Bok Choy (up to 1 cup)
- Broccoli, whole or heads only (up to 1 cup)
- Cabbage (common and red up to 1 cup)
- Celery (1/2 medium stalk/12cm)
- Chilli Peppers (if tolerated)
- Collard greens
- Corn / sweet corn – if tolerable and only in small amounts – 1/2 cob
Eggplant / aubergine(up to 1 cup)
- Fennel bulb or leaves (up to 1/2 cup)
- Green beans (up to 12 beans)
- Green pepper / green bell pepper / green capsicum (up to ½ cup)
- Leeks, leaves only (up to 1/2 cup)
- Okra (6 pods)
- Red peppers / red bell pepper / red capsicum
- Spinach, baby
- Silverbeet / chard
- Tomato – cherry (up to 4)
- Tomato – common
- Tomato – roma (1 small)
- Zucchini (up to ½ cup)
Low FODMAP Fruits to Eat in August
- Blueberries (up to 20 berries or 28g)
- Kiwi (up to 2 small, peeled)
Low FODMAP Cooking Ingredients, Herbs and Spices to Eat in August
- Fennel bulb or leaves (up to 1/2 cup) or seeds (up to 1 tsp)
Low FODMAP Recipes for August’s Seasonal Produce
Here are some delicious low FODMAP recipes that make the most of August’s produce:
- Summer Squash Salad from Treble in the Kitchen puts the best of August’s produce front-and-center.
- Now that you have three pints of blueberries on your counter, you’ve got no excuse
notto make my easy blueberry ice cream.
- If you struggle with getting your eggplant just right, this Hunger|Thirst|Play how-to for perfectly grilled eggplant is just what you need.
- Each Summer, my mom would fry up zucchini rounds as a tasty treat that also helped us make our way through our overabundance of zucchini. Vegetarian Mamma shares a gluten-free air fryer version of a classic zucchini coins recipe.
- It’s easy to find fresh rosemary this month, which makes this Lemon and Rosemary Chicken recipe from FODMAP Formula a must-make.
- I make my blueberry scones year ’round, but they have an extra bit of fun when I can make them with fresh berries during the Summer.
Hungry for more seasonal low FODMAP produce-focused recipes to fill your meal plan? Keep an eye on my weekly #FODMAPfriday recipe round-ups. To make sure you never miss one subscribe to the blog!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
Love this shopping list! So cute and practical!
Thanks for including our zucchini coins!
Happy to do so, Cindy! Your recipe took me back to my mom’s kitchen… 🙂