One of my big challenges this past year was figuring out how to make a bean-free low FODMAP chili. I’ve been making chili for years, but almost always with beans. And never without onions and garlic.
After I got my Instant Pot for Christmas (Amazon affiliate link) I decided to work on perfecting my low FODMAP chili recipe.
Although you can make this chili in any slow cooker, what makes it ideal for the Instantpot is your ability to saute the meat and the veggies in the Instant Pot before moving into slow cooker mode. No more using the stove and dirtying up an extra skillet!
Ideas for Making the Low FODMAP Chili Your Own
The key to giving this low FODMAP chili its authentic chili taste, in my opinion, is using garlic-infused olive oil to brown your meat. So whatever you do, don’t change that part of the recipe up! Ditto for including the celery, which acts as a textural replacement for the onions.
But I encourage you to swap in your favorite stew meat. It’s also OK to substitute whatever in-season veggies you have on hand for the mushrooms and bell peppers.
Update Your Low FODMAP Pantry
Whether you’re in the market for a new slow cooker, low FODMAP chili ingredients, or a new low FODMAP cookbook, check out my Erika’s Gluten-free Kitchen Amazon shop. Give yourself a treat while you support Erika’s Gluten-free Kitchen!
Beef and Lamb No-Bean Chili (Gluten-free, low-FODMAP)
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef I use a 90% lean ground beef.
- 1/2 lb lamb stew meat
- 1 bulb celery hearts Diced.
- 4 oz crimini mushrooms Diced.
- 1 bell pepper Diced.
- 1 TBSP garlic-infused olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin Dried, ground.
- 1 tsp epazote Dried, ground.
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper Dried, ground.
- 1 tsp jalepno Dried, crushed.
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder Dried, ground.
- 2 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika Dried, ground.
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper Dried, ground.
- 32 oz tomatoes chopped
- 2 cup beef broth
- Add garlic-infused olive oil to your InstantPot and turn on the sauté setting.
- Crumble up your ground beef and add to the InstantPot. Chop stew meat into bite-sized chunks and add to the InstantPot. Stir meat to coat with olive oil. Add spices and stir again. Cook until meat is browned on all sides, stirring as needed to keep it from burning.
- Add celery to pot. Cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining vegetables to pot. Pour in beef broth. Stir to combine.
- Switch InstantPot off. Place lid on InstantPot, open the vent, then choose the Slow Cooker setting and cook for 4 hours.
- If you prefer your chili with a little more kick, add 1 TBSP of the low FODMAP chili sauce of your choice.
- This low FODMAP chili tastes great straight from the InstantPOt by itself, or over rice.
Leave a Reply