When you have food allergies and intolerances, many aspects of daily life can be just a little bit more difficult. Take jury duty for example.
This week, I was called in for jury duty at our Hall of Justice, with a lunchtime start. Our Hall of Justice is located in a freeway-adjacent, not especially pedestrian-friendly block. There are very few food options nearby other than McDonald’s nearby. And when you can’t eat wheat or gluten, McDonald’s just isn’t a great lunch option.
That’s why I packed myself a lunch and some snacks in my Built lunch bag. So while the rest of the jury room ate fast food and vending machine snacks, I had the same great low FODMAP food I would have been eating at home. I know it can feel overwhelming to identify foods you can eat and to prepare your meals. But once you have the right tools on hand, it really isn’t that much of a challenge.
For me, that means having a stash of Sistema salad bowls, covered plates, bento boxes, and soup cups that fit into my insulated lunch bag. Regardless of what I want to bring with me, I’ve got the perfect container to keep it fresh and easily reheat it. My leftovers don’t go to waste. And I don’t put myself in the position of having to gamble on eating something that might make me ill. I’ll be sharing my lunch packing tips in a future blog post—if you have any to add let me know! And now, on to this week’s low FODMAP recipes.
Low FODMAP Recipes
Take a look at my new June low FODMAP guide to farmers market produce, then put the best food of the season to use in these low FODMAP recipes:
- I love rhubarb, so it’s always fun to find new ways of using rhubarb, like this Rhubarb Crumble from Karlijn’s Kitchen.
- Looking for a new combination for your low FODMAP stir-fry? Kate Scarlata’s chicken and bok choy stir fry makes great use of one of the season’s most abundant vegetables.
- Eggplant gets paired with a fresh assortment of seasonal veggies in this Stuffed + Baked Aubergine recipe from Becky Excell.
- I loved to use challah for my bread pudding baking—can’t wait to try my hand at making my own gluten-free challah.
- The crumb on these gluten-free and low FODMAP blueberry muffins from Manu’s Menu looks perfect.
Refresh Your Low FODMAP Pantry
I just did a Spring cleaning of my low FODMAP pantry. Get inspired by the below recommendations from Amazon and check out what I’ve added to my top picks in my Erika’s Gluten-free Kitchen Amazon shop.