Last Summer, we took a short trip to Seattle as a mini vacation. As we were walking PIke’s Place Market, we came across Radiator Whiskey. This excellent bar featured BBQ, tater tots and a slew of amazing whiskey-based cocktails. It was there that I fell in love with the bourbon margarita.
When we returned home, Lewis set about experimenting with a few favorite margarita recipes to create one that worked well with bourbon.
It was hard work sampling the many bourbon margarita iterations along the way, I assure you.
OK, it was a lot of FUN sampling all the bourbon margarita iterations along the way.
Picking a Bourbon for Your Bourbon Margarita
Bourbon is the star in this cocktail, so you’ll want to find one that has a smooth taste. Think about one you wouldn’t mind sipping straight. This bourbon doesn’t have to be premium-priced either. It all just comes down to what bourbon is going to put a smile on your face while sipping this refreshing cocktail.
A few of my favorite brands that we’ve used for making this bourbon margarita recipe include Four Roses Bourbon, Maker’s Mark, and Bulleit Bourbon.
Erika's Bourbon Margarita
- 2 oz bourbon
- 3/4 oz fresh lime juice It's worth it to squeeeze this yourself. The bottled stuff is just not as tasty.
- 1 tsp Grand Marnier I do not recommend substituting Triple Sec.
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 slice small lime optional garnish
- Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well.
- Serve with the ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.