Artichoke dip has always been one of my favorite holiday appetizers. But until we recently reintroduced artichokes into our modified low FODMAP eating, it was strictly off the menu even though Monash OK’s up to 1/2 cup of canned artichoke hearts. However, even though we are both now OK with artichokes, the amount of onions, garlic and lactose found in most artichoke dip recipes doesn’t work for us. That’s why I created my own gut-friendly take on classic artichoke dip.
You can make this dish by hand, I used my Cuisinart for everything other than prepping the artichoke hearts. It’s so easy to make when you put everything in your food processor and pulse until it gets to your desired consistency.
Serve with your favorite gluten-free crackers (I love Mary’s Gone Crackers (affiliate link)). The dip is also great on carrot sticks. I have been known to slather some on my gluten-free cheddar cheese scones as well, but don’t tell anyone…
Lactose-Free Dairy Products for the Artichoke Dip
I didn’t use to have issues with lactose. Other than initially getting adjusted to milk when I traveled outside the U.S. But on a recent trip to Seattle, I found out just how little I could tolerate it. I had a very bad reaction after having soft-serve ice cream and flan on the same day. I never want to experience that again, so I started looking into lactose-free dairy products.
My favorite producer of lactose-free sour cream and cream cheese is Green Valley Organics. I used them in this recipe and keep them in the fridge at all times. For milk, I turn to either the Horizon lactose-free milk, or Organic Valley lactose-free milk. These products have all the great taste I want in my dairy, without any of the discomforts.
Low FODMAP Artichoke Dip Variation
If you are hesitant about reintroducing artichokes into your diet, replace the artichokes with two large sweet peppers and follow the rest of the recipe. You’ll still get the comfort food feel of the artichoke dip without any of the potential FODMAP irritants.
Note that this post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on them and make a purchase, I receive a small commission. This has no effect on the price you pay, but it helps defray the cost of maintaining this blog. Thanks for purchasing through the links I share!
Gut-friendly Low FODMAP Artichoke Dip
- 14 oz artichoke hearts Canned artichoke hearts, rinsed and dried with paper towels.
- 2 TBSP garlic-infused olive oil
- 8 oz lactose-free cream cheese I used Green Valley Organics
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup lactose free sour cream I used Green Valley Organics
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese Shredded. Reserve 1/4 cup to be used as the topping.
- 4 oz mild green chiles
- 3/4 cup Monterey jack cheese Shredded.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and drain your artichoke hearts. place them on a paper towel and pat dry. Place artichoke hearts into a bowl and drizzle with the garlic-infused olive oil. Place artichoke hearts on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with the salt. Bake for 15 minutes or until the artichoke hearts just start to brown on the edges.
- Let artichoke hearts cool to room temperature then roughly chop into small pieces.
- Add chopped artichoke hearts and all ingredients except the 1/4 cup reserved parmesan cheese to your food processor. Pulse mixture until all ingredients are combined and texture is smooth but still has some small visible chunks of artichoke.
- Place mixture in an ovenproof dish and top with the reserved parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until the dip is browned on top and bubbling.
- Serve in its baking dish.