Just when I started to feel like I was getting the hang of gluten-free baking, life had to throw me a curveball.
My boyfriend’s naturopath had him try a new treatment for his IBS, and follow it up with a month of Paleo eating.
Now, here’s the thing: He eats ice cream for dessert pretty much every night.
I know, I know, that’s usually not low FODMAP unless I’m buying So Delicious frozen desserts or a Paleo sorbet. But he loves ice cream, and it hasn’t really bothered him previously. The point here is, desserts are absolutely mandatory.
Creating My Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
I almost always have some sort of homemade gluten-free baked treat on hand. And I wasn’t going to let the Paelo directive change that! So, I decided I’d adapt my gluten-free chocolate chip cookies recipe into one for Paleo chocolate chip cookies.
I started by placing an order with Thrive Market to stock up on the specialty ingredients I needed for my Paleo chocolate chip cookies:
- Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks
- Nutiva Organic Vegan Shortening
- Thrive Market Ghee
- Big Tree Farms Organic Coconut Sugar, Blonde
- Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour
The Paleo chocolate chip cookies turned out to be soft and delicious, like the originals. And unlike many other gluten-free baked goods, my Paleo chocolate chip cookies were able to keep for a week in the cookie jar instead of being refrigerated. Winning!
The cookies were such a hit I made a batch as soon as they were gone, this time adding in 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. The addition of the cocoa made those Paleo chocolate chip cookies a little less moist, but still very good.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/3 cup organic vegan shortening I used Nutiva
- 1/3 cup ghee I used Thrive Market Ghee
- 1 cup coconut sugar I used Big Tree Farms Organic Coconut Sugar, Blonde
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanila extract
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Paleo Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 oz Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks
- Cream together the shortening, ghee, coconut sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Beat for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix until incorporated.
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- After dough has chilled, pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a cookie scoop to measure out each cookie and place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until just starting to brown. Cool on a wire rack before eating.
- Keeps for up to 1 week in an air tight container.