Just when I started to feel like I was getting the hang of gluten-free baking, life had to throw me a curveball.
My boyfriend’s naturopath had him try a new treatment for his IBS, and follow it up with a month of Paleo eating.
Now, here’s the thing: He eats ice cream for dessert pretty much every night.
I know, I know, that’s usually not low FODMAP unless I’m buying So Delicious frozen desserts or a Paleo sorbet. But he loves ice cream, and it hasn’t really bothered him previously. The point here is, desserts are absolutely mandatory.
Creating My Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
I almost always have some sort of homemade gluten-free baked treat on hand. And I wasn’t going to let the Paelo directive change that! So, I decided I’d adapt my gluten-free chocolate chip cookies recipe into one for Paleo chocolate chip cookies.
I started by placing an order with Thrive Market to stock up on the specialty ingredients I needed for my Paleo chocolate chip cookies:
- Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks
- Nutiva Organic Vegan Shortening
- Thrive Market Ghee
- Big Tree Farms Organic Coconut Sugar, Blonde
- Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Baking Flour
If you haven’t tried Thrive market before, you can use my referral link (http://thrv.me/ErikaGF) to get 25% off your first order. You can also buy many of these items on Amazon.
The Paleo chocolate chip cookies turned out to be soft and delicious, like the originals. And unlike many other gluten-free baked goods, my Paleo chocolate chip cookies were able to keep for a week in the cookie jar instead of being refrigerated. Winning!
The cookies were such a hit I made a batch as soon as they were gone, this time adding in 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. The addition of the cocoa made those Paleo chocolate chip cookies a little less moist, but still very good.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/3 cup organic vegan shortening I used Nutiva
- 1/3 cup ghee I used Thrive Market Ghee
- 1 cup coconut sugar I used Big Tree Farms Organic Coconut Sugar, Blonde
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanila extract
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Paleo Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 oz Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mega Chunks
- Cream together the shortening, ghee, coconut sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Beat for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda and mix until incorporated.
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- After dough has chilled, pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a cookie scoop to measure out each cookie and place on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until just starting to brown. Cool on a wire rack before eating.
- Keeps for up to 1 week in an air tight container.
The Waffle Chef
Great pictures! We’ll have to try out this recipe. I’m normally Paleo, or at least I try to be.
These cookies are delicious! I will say though I used plugra butter, in place of Nutiva and ghee. Same measurements. I also added a spoonful of coconut unrefined oil at the end. Seemed a little thick. I also added walnuts and Lily’s dark chocolate broken into pieces(instead of mega chunks.) So, I don’t know if that made them non-gluten free but what an amazing recipe for its flexibility! Thank you❤️
I love Lily’s chocolate—so good! Sounds like yours was still gluten-free as long as you used the Paleo flour, but the butter substitution would make them no longer Paleo. Glad to hear you had fun with the recipe!
This sounds like a great recipe, but we cannot do ghee due to allergies, could I substitute vegan butter, like earth balance?
I think that should work fine. Let me know how it turns out and I am happy to add a note!