It’s not a BBQ without my low FODMAP potato salad. Too often, potato salad contains red onions or other sneaky FODMAPs. This low FODMAP potato salad recipe replaces the common red onions with green onions. This gives that little bit of crunch that the dish needs without causing inflammation.
My boyfriend used to hate potato salad. Or at least, he thought he did. It turns out he just hated slimy potato salad. You know the type. Where the potatoes are undercooked and every potato salad element is slathered in mayonnaise. And often with pickle relish snuck in for good measure. Somehow, this has become the de facto potluck potato salad mix. But it doesn’t have to be!
My low FODMAP potato salad is light on the mayonnaise, using a big dose of mustard instead. Cooking the potatoes until they are soft-to-the-fork and combining the hot potatoes with the rest of the ingredients also helps bind the potato salad without as much mayo.
I should note the secret ingredient that really makes this low FODMAP potato salad pop is bacon. Crispy, tiny bits of bacon. If you’re vegetarian, you can certainly leave it out. But I encourage everyone else to fry up some bacon to include in the potato salad. You can fry it while the potatoes boil so it won’t take any extra time.
Low FODMAP potato salad
- 1 1/2 lb red potatoes Cut into bite-sized chunks.
- 3 eggs Hardboiled, diced.
- 1 bunch green oinions Dice green part only.
- 5 strips bacon Cooked until crispy and broken into small pieces.
- 2 TBSP mustard
- 1/2 Cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Wash potatoes then cut into bite-sized chunks. Boil potatoes until a fork easily passes through them, about 15 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, prepare the other ingredients.
- Fry bacon until crispy, then drain on paper towels. Break up bacon into small pieces.
- Roughly dice the hardboiled eggs and add to a large mixing bowl. Dice the green parts of a bunch of green onions and add to the mixing bowl.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and add to mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, and bacon. Stir until just combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place in airtight container. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.