I love ice cream in all its forms. But not nearly as much as Lewis loves ice cream. The only time he doesn’t have ice cream for dessert is when we’ve run out. That’s why for our anniversary this year I got him the Cuisinart Compressor gelato and ice cream maker (affiliate link). Before we got the ice cream maker, we’d been obsessed with making frozen banana n’ice cream. That’s why the first batch we made in the new ice cream maker was this gluten-free coconut and chocolate ice cream, featuring—you guessed it—frozen bananas.
It can be tempting to use an entire bar of baking chocolate when making this ice cream. But if you do, it will overwhelm the coconut. And it is gluten-free coconut and chocolate ice cream, after all, so you don’t want to do that. The ice cream is delicious on its own, but tastes even better with the addition of chocolate and caramel syrup. I suggest looking for Ghirardelli dessert syrups in the baking aisle at your grocery store, or ordering them on Amazon (affiliate link).
Storing Your Ice Cream
If you are making this to eat right away, the recipe makes four good-sized servings. If you intend to keep it in the freezer, put the freshly churned ice cream into an air-tight freezer storage container, like the Sistema storage container (affiliate link) you see above. To avoid freezer burn, enjoy your ice cream within 3-4 days. Let the ice cream sit on the counter for about 10 minutes to thaw slightly before scooping.
Note that this post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on them and make a purchase, I receive a small commission. This has no effect on the price you pay, but it helps defray the cost of maintaining this blog. Thanks for purchasing through the links I share!
Gluten-Free Coconut and Chocolate Ice Cream
- 3 whole bananas frozen, 1-inch chunks
- 7 oz coconut cream
- 4 oz semisweet baking chocolate Refrigerate chocolate overnight. Roughly chop into small chunks.
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Chop three ripe bananas into bite-sized chunks. Freeze overnight or for 24 hours. At the same time, refrigerate a bar of semisweet or dark baking chocolate.
- Place coconut cream, maple syrup and vanilla extra into a bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Add coconut milk mixture and banana chunks to your ice cream maker. Start ice cream maker and follow its instructions for how long to freeze ice cream. Add in the chocolate chunks with 10-15 minutes left in the freeze if your machine allows adding add-ins while the freeze is in process. Otherwise, add before you start the freeze.
- For best results, freeze for 1-2 hours before serving.
Leave a Reply