Too often, the only gluten-free chocolate chip cookies I come across are of the crunchy variety. And although there’s nothing wrong with that, I’m a fan of a softer cookie. One that’s more chewy than crispy when you take that first bite.
I’d perfected my soft-baked chocolate chip cookie recipe years ago. And it was my go-to contribution for just about every gathering I attended. So I’ve been working on perfecting an equally soft gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe.
I’m happy to report that these gluten-free chocolate chip cookies fit that soft cookie bill. And soft doesn’t mean pale, either. These get nicely browned and crispy on the outside, but still have that soft interior.
I sent a few dozen of these to work with Lewis. He reported his coworkers gobbled them up in less than an hour. Yes!
And best of all, several colleagues noted they wouldn’t have known they were gluten-free chocolate chip cookies if he hadn’t told them. Win! Many people haven’t had the best experiences with gluten-free cookies. So it always makes me happy when people love them on their own merits.
I can’t wait to hear how you like them! Tag me on Instagram at misserikasf with your photos when you bake them.
Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/3 Cup shortening
- 1/3 Cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup dark brown sugar Tightly packed.
- 1 Large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 Cup gluten free cup-for-cup flour I used King Arthur Flour's gluten-free cup-for-cup flour.
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips I use Ghirardelli or Guittard semisweet chocolate chips.
- Cream shortening, butter, sugars, egg and vanilla in your mixer until well-combined.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to mixing bowl and combine on low speed until all flour is incorproated.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand with a wooden sppon until incorporated throughout the dough.
- Cover mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours.
- When dough is chilled, pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon sized cookie scoop, drop cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheets, leaving approximately 2 inches between cookies.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until starting to turn a golden brown.
- Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling. Store in an air tight container for up to five days.
Leave a Reply