With the blueberries in abundance at my local farmers’ markets, despite the typical grey and chilly San Francisco Summer in full swing, it’s the perfect time for baking blueberry scones. I like mine unsweetened and unadorned, like this one above, showcasing how the blueberries explode in a burst of deliciousness.
For those of you who like your baked treats a little sweeter, you can lightly dust their tops with sugar before you pop them into the oven, as I did here with these beauties. Best served hot from the oven, but will last about two days in an airtight container. Serve plain, or with butter or clotted cream, and a cup of tea. Don’t forget the tea!
Gluten-free Blueberry Scones
- 1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour Do not substitute other flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (1/2 a stick)
- 2/3 cups milk 2% is OK, but do not use nonfat. Lactose-free is fine.
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper, or prepare them with butter or cooking spray; set aside. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into small chunks and thumb it into the dry ingredients, until butter is integrated throughout, as tiny flakey crumbs.
- Slowly pour in milk, stirring it in with a knife until just combined. Add blueberries, stirring in with a knife until well-distributed through the dough, which will be very sticky.
- You may roll out the dough on a floured board to a 1/2" thickness and cut with a 2" pastry cutter into rounds, or use a floured ice cream scoop to make the balls of dough equal sizes and drop onto your cookie sheets. Personally, I prefer the drop scones, as you get some crunchy bits on top, as you can see in the photo.
- Bake 12-15 minutes until they are golden on top. Makes 10 scones.
I love scones! These look good!
Thanks, Bethany! They’re definitely favorites around our house. 🙂
Those look so delicious, Erika! Thank you so much for sharing them with us at Allergy Free Thursdays! Hope to see you back again next week!
Thanks, Raia! And I’ll definitely be back! Thanks so much for hosting the round-up.